Sunday 9 February 2014

Today I am Sad........ Today I am Glad

This post is dedicated to the memory of all the persons who endured verbal, physical and any other abuse as they took their journey through Alzheimer's disease.

Today I am sad.Today my heart bleeds for all the elderly with and without Alzheimer's disease who are being hurt each day by their husbands, children,relatives and all those who should know better.Is ignorance an excuse ? Is it because they do not know about the disease? Is there any excuse for this torture and cruelty. My answer is a resounding NO!
So you may say, but you do not understand, they resist bathing , play with their feces, get moody and  aggressive and need so much attention. Yes I know, because I have been a caregiver to my mother for the last 9 years and I know the challenges you face, but abuse is not the answer !

Alzheimer's is a disease of the brain not the heart. P
eople with it still have feelings, though their memory has faded and they can no longer control  a lot of what they do, they still feel  pain, hurt resentment and anger.By the same token, they also feel love, kindness and compassion.

Today I feel sad because another person with Alzheimer's  disease has died  without getting the love, care and support that they needed through the hardest and darkest time of their life. They died because families and neighbours ignored the abuse.No one took the time to help !


Today I am glad for those wonderful caregivers, families and friends who make the sacrifices and commit themselves to care for  loved ones, strangers and people around them with Alzheimer's disease.I am glad for all those who have overcome the ignorance about the disease by seeking and searching for knowledge and information that will help them to give better care.


No comments:

Post a Comment